Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.

Friday, June 7, 2013

6 Children Died during May, in a 16-day period, from being left in Overheated Cars!


Don't leave your young child in a car on hot days! Common since right? 

That's what most would think, but... Did you know that in the US - 567 children have died while being left in a car, since 1998!?! (According to figures from the Department of Geosciences at San Francisco State University)

Almost 600 children that could of grown up to be doctors and teachers and could of changed the world for the better... and now we'll never know! 


According to the nonprofit child safety organization - KidsAndCars.org, Seven children, mostly under 2 years of age, have died during the month of May 2013! The oldest being a 4 yr old boy on May 15, from my State - NC in Transylvania County, just 55 minutes from my city of Asheville! (It makes me sick to my stomach to realize how close to home that was) 6 of those tragedies were between 4 states and in a 16-day period! All of those children were left by members of their family. (I also heard that 1 child has already lost their life during the month of June 2013!)
It's truly sad to know that these things happen to great parents and caregivers all the time! No parent intentionally leaves their young children in a hot car on a scorching hot day, it just happens and can be a heart-breaking situation. Most of the accidents happen to parents and caregivers that have a change in routine and forget that they had the child with them that day, when normally the child would be somewhere else. Or when kids run around outside and somehow gain access to an unlocked car and gets locked inside or falls asleep.
I remember hearing about a local daycare getting into trouble for forgetting a small boy in the DayCare van after a field trip, a few years ago. Luckily the child was found safely asleep in a back seat but the windows were up in the van and it was a hot summer day! Even though the daycare got into LOTS of trouble, they were very lucky that the little boy was fine, I bet his parents felt like the luckiest parents ever, once they found their son and realized he was 100% healthy. That DayCare was a very well known facility who's caregivers were schooled and well trained! 
That shows that this tragedy can happen to anyone, well trained, wonderful parent, loving grandparent etc!

It's good to remember that even on a mild day and the temperatures are in the low 70's, it can quickly become deadly. If the weather is 70 degrees outside, it's 125 degrees in your car when the windows are up! Even if you have the windows down, older kids can roll them up when playing or by accident, not to mention that those electric windows, themselves, can also cause injuries and sometimes even deaths as well. (Visit KidsAndCars.org to learn more about that subject.)

I want to make this tragedy, about our babies and young children, known so maybe we can save atleast 1 child from suffering from a heat-stroke before this becomes an epidemic! I searched far and wide to find some great tips on how we can help others and remember ourselves! I would like to share those tips with you:


Pediatric Emergency Experts say:
"A child's body heats up alot faster than an adult's and children don't handle heat as well. It can take as little as 15 minutes in an overheated car for a child to suffer life-threatening brain or kidney injuries. When body temperature reaches 104 degrees, internal organs start to shut down. At 107 degrees, children die!"

Below are 3 Suggestions to help a parent or caregiver remember that a small child is in the backseat - From BabyCenter Blog

  • Place a large stuffed animal in the carseat when the child is not there. Putting the stuffed animal in the passenger seat when your child is in their carseat helps to give you a visual reminder that your child is in the car.
  • Put your pocket-book, cell phone, work shirt, -- something you would NOT forget about or leave in the car when you arrive at work, grocery store, etc -- In the back seat with your child. You will open the back door to get your belongings and see the child to remove them from the car as well.
  • Have a set plan to Call or Text your partner when a child is dropped off. If your partner doesn't receive the expected call, then they can follow up to make sure the child arrived safe and sound to their detestation. Or have the caregiver (Grandparent or Baby-Sitter) call or text you or your partner when then the child is dropped off. The call will become something you will be waiting on each day.

I love these tips from the BabyCenter Blog! I would just like to add one more tip that I found at KidsAndCars.org:

Every-time you part your vehicle, open the back door to make sure no one has been left behind.

I'm also very happy to say that since I once had a family member who use to drive a school bus for the local Elementary and High School, I know that my kids are safe from being forgotten about at school. I'm pretty relaxed to personally know that the bus drivers check each seat in their bus after the children are dropped off at school. It is mandatory (as far as I know) for the drivers to walk through the whole bus, checking for sleeping kids, before they lock it up until it's time to take the kids back home! (The only thing I worry about on buses are bullies and seat belts... those are whole different stories on their own!)


Summer is here and it's time for family's to start their Summer Traveling!
I hope that by writing this post, I have been able to help atleast one child from being left in an overheated car this Summer. This is a horrible, serious accident that can be prevented!

If you believe this article is helpful, fell free to comment your thoughts and/or share with your friends.

Help me Save Our Children by Spreading the Word about Children and Car Safety during this busy Summer Traveling Danger Zone!

Do you have any tips or ideas on how to remember that your child is in the car??
(The children who get left in the cars by accident are normally sleeping or quietly playing.)




Sources: KidsAndCars.org - Blogs.BabyCenter.com - Parents.com
Photo Source: morguefile.com/archive

2 comments:

  1. This is so awful. I will definitely keep this in mind for when I get a job. Right now I'm a stay at home mom so I don't need to worry about it too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, It really is! I'm a WAHM who don't drive so I don't have to worry about myself leaving the kids in the car but it's something to think about when the kids are away from home. I truly couldn't believe what I was reading/typing, it's so sad!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you...